Baby and Infant Massage
Baby Massage classes are designed with new parents in mind.
Mum’s, Dad’s and caregivers will learn the basics of the baby massage routine which they can then practice at home.
Over the course of 5 sessions, we will learn a simple massage sequence concentrating on a different part of the body, recapping what we’ve learnt so far. The classes offer a chance to meet new parents' and enjoy a cup of tea in a relaxing environment. Perhaps you'd like to organise a group session for a small group of friends in the comfort of your own home. Please get in touch, we'd love to meet you.
Baby massage is a lovely way to enjoy time with your baby and it can also help you bond with them.
Before babies are able to understand language, we often communicate and comfort them through touch. If a baby cries, for example, parents will hold, cuddle or stroke them. Baby massage is part of this natural impulse.
Today, there is widespread belief that baby massage can increase a mum’s awareness of her baby’s needs and support their early bond, as well as improve her sense of well-being.
Benefits for baby
- Helping your baby to feel securely attached
- Helping your baby to feel more loved, valued and respected
- Reduced crying and emotional distress
- Increased levels of relaxation and longer sleep
- Development of body awareness and coordination
- Relief from wind, colic, constipation and teething discomfort
Benefits for you
- Feeling closer to your baby
- Gaining a deeper understanding of your baby's behaviour, crying and body language
- Providing an enjoyable opportunity for you to spend one-to-one time with your baby
- A great way for partners, family members and carers to bond with baby.
- Feeling the relaxing effects of giving your baby a massage
- Increased confidence in your ability to care for and nurture your baby
- Learning a life-long parenting skill
When can I start baby massage?
There are no set guidelines regarding the minimum age for when to start baby massage, this varies from culture to culture. Although nurturing touch can be given from birth, some babies may find structured massage too stimulating in the very early weeks. It can also be hard for parents to make it to a class on time or consistently with a newborn. As a result, many parents prefer to wait until their baby is about six weeks old when their routine is more settled and their behaviour is sometimes more predictable.
It can also be helpful to start baby massage after your baby’s six-week check so any issues with development, such as hip dysplasia, might be identified.
This class is appropriate for all little ones from 6 weeks of age up to crawling.
The next 5-week course will begin on Thursday 11th January for 5 consecutive weeks.
Dates: 11 January, 18 January, 25 January, 01 February and 08 February 2018
Time: 10-11:30 am
Places are limited. The investment in the course is £45 for 5 weeks.
For more information on Baby Massage, Class details and Locations please contact us.